Monday 11 August 2014

BOOK REVIEW: 'how to love' - Katie Cotugno


I have recently read 'how to love' by Katie Cotugno and I rediscovered my love for reading. I picked up the book down at my local library when it caught my eye with it's bright pink cover and bold writing on the front cover. Now the classic saying 'do not judge a book by it's cover' is not applicable here as of course, I turned over to read the blurb. Having read the general over view of the book and looked up a few reviews online I decided to take it out to read, and I am so incredibly happy that I did!

The story is based around a girl (Reena) who secretly admires a boy (Sawyer), things become complicated when Reena's best friend (Allie) becomes Sawyer's girlfriend meaning the two girls fall out. But when Reena is working and Sawyer comes and asks her out she of course agrees; as Reena and Sawyer sit together admitting their feelings for one another, Reena gets a call to say Allie has been in a car accident and is hospital. After Allie's death, Reena and Sawyer become closer in their relationship and Reena ends up pregnant whilst Sawyer has problems with drugs. A pregnant Reena is left alone as a clueless Sawyer goes off to explore America. The structure of the book sees the chapters switch between 'before' and 'after' sawyer's departure and return from Reena's point of view.

Such an amazing, beautiful and captivating story line with great characters. The complicated and realistic romance kept me hooked throughout and it is a novel that touches upon every subject simply bringing out every emotion possible; it is one of the very few books I have cried at. I loved the ending as it concluded the story so well bringing small details from throughout the book together to form a beautiful ending. Katie Cotugno is an amazing author and I cannot wait to read more of her material in the future.